Lakeland Parrot & Bird-keepers Members Forum
This Forum is for CLUB MEMBERS ONLY.
If this is your FIRST TIME - DO THE FOLLOWING :

Choose a BIRDIE NICKNAME > Email it to the Club's Webmaster.

"Agree to the Terms" > Put your Birdie Nickname in the "USER NAME" Space.

Choose a PASSWORD > Type it in Box. Click "SAVE"

You will receive an email confirming your account is activated.

You may need to re-enter your details to gain entry to the FORUM.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

This Forum is for CLUB MEMBERS ONLY.
If this is your FIRST TIME - DO THE FOLLOWING :

Choose a BIRDIE NICKNAME > Email it to the Club's Webmaster.

"Agree to the Terms" > Put your Birdie Nickname in the "USER NAME" Space.

Choose a PASSWORD > Type it in Box. Click "SAVE"

You will receive an email confirming your account is activated.

You may need to re-enter your details to gain entry to the FORUM.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds

3 posters

Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Sixth Sense in Pet Birds

Post  ASC Thu 20 Dec 2012, 10:44 am

Hi Everyone.

Just wondering whether anyone is aware of pet birds being in tune with other animals when all is not well? My Jenday Conure, Sonnie has taken to sitting on my cat's bed with him - something he has never done before. I will post a photograph on Facebook for you all to see. This has only happened since my cat has been diagnosed with a cancerous tumour - he just keeps seeking him out and roosting on the edge of my cat Mishka's bed. Mishka doesn't seem to mind one bit. It really is very touching. I just thought I would share this with other members. ASC xxxx
ASC
ASC

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Sixth sense

Post  Bobbysox Sat 22 Dec 2012, 1:53 am

Asc how touching that is I am just so surprised as they are normally enemies cats/birds I hope we can see the pictures. I am so sorry for poor little Mishkca it is heartbreaking when all you can do for them is lots of TLC. Sad

Last edited by Bobbysox on Sat 22 Dec 2012, 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : letter missed)
Bobbysox
Bobbysox

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Sixth Sense

Post  ASC Sat 22 Dec 2012, 7:57 am

It is such a shame for my Mishka - he is severely disabled following a car accident in 2002. I adopted him from a rescue four years ago where he had spent many many years. He sustained a spinal break so is incontinent so it is quite a challenge - he can walk a little but mainly shuffles around on his bottom. I think Sonnie senses that all is not well with him as he avoids my other cat who is agile and naughty with the birds - I could NEVER leave him alone with my birdie boys. The tumour is located on Mishka's hip and the vet drained 130 mls of fluid from it last week - it was huge. You could probably see it on the picture on Facebook. Unfortunately it has already started filling up again - the only saving grace is that we (including the vet) don't think he is any pain with it due to him not having much feeling in his back-end. I guess I have more heartbreak to face in 2013 after my devastating loss of Adam in 2012. But that goes with the territory of keeping pets and mainly rescued. ASC xxx
ASC
ASC

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Asc

Post  Bobbysox Tue 01 Jan 2013, 9:04 pm

Hi asc I hope you had a really nice relaxing time over the holidays. Ian/I went away in the Motorhome for 3 days after Christmas but only to Ainsdale(Southport). I feel guilty saying it but it was nice to have a little break from all the animals as much as I love them to bits. The 6 rabbits over the last 6 months have giving me quite a bit extra work. Now I have these 4 new babies wait till they are running round he he they are now 12 days old and so beautiful. Will keep you posted off to watch a film had a busy day and I managed to get out on the bike into the country but hard work in the wind Cool
Bobbysox
Bobbysox

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Re: ASC

Post  ASC Tue 01 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

Hi Bobbysox

We all deserve a break and it is no reflection on the pets that we keep. I ended up looking after the cat rescue over Christmas which I volunteer for as the owner needed a break - she runs it from her house and garden and it literally is a 365 days a year job! It was a massive responsibility for me but I quite enjoyed it except that I hate to see all the cats locked up in pens when they should have freedom - but hopefully they will all find loving homes this year. I don't get away much myself mainly due to Mishka's disability ( I have literally had one night away in the Lakes in July) - I can't go asking anyone to empty his bladder and bowel as I do several times a day. I am back in work tomorrow - worse luck - but it pays for the upkeep of my lovely pets - they deserve all the luxuries in the world after most of them have a had a poor start in life. Glad you enjoyed your break and I hope you find some forever loving homes for some of your bunnies. xxx
ASC
ASC

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty petz4u

Post  Birdbrain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:27 am

Hi Both
Interesting story about Mishka and Sonnie - Animals def. can sense things. I had a little dog who could sense which people were "good" and those not to be trusted no matter how they tried to pet her - if she didn't like them - she wouldn't have it. She was always right - God love her.

Don't forget both - I run www.petz4u.co.uk as well as the Lakeland Bird-keepers site - so you can put Pet Adverts on their - Wanted and For sale.
Hope you had a great Xmas and N.Y.
Birdbrain
Birdbrain
Admin

http://lakelandbirdkeepers.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Re: Sixth Sense in Pet Birds

Post  Birdbrain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:29 am

Both don't forget to go onot the Club's Facebook site. You can post your pic on there Pauline.
Birdbrain
Birdbrain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Sixth sense

Post  Bobbysox Fri 04 Jan 2013, 1:05 am

Asc "brialliant" you were able to step in at the Rescue Centre over the holidays. As you say it is heartbreaking to see them penned up you just want to let them free. God there are so many unwanted animals out there and so few homes I guess it come down to cost and vet bills that put people off. I was so surprised at these latest kits there are two completly white ones and the other two are Tan but lighter than Mum. Her last 4 were all Wild in colour so she had to have mated with a wild Rabbit hence whoever owned her previously dumped her. Smile
Bobbysox
Bobbysox

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdbrain Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:52 am

thought you'd had your bunny female neutered??
Birdbrain
Birdbrain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Re: Sixth Sense in Pets

Post  ASC Sat 05 Jan 2013, 8:58 am

Thanks all for your contributions to the topic of the sixth sense. It is lovely that animals all look out for each other - isn't it? Another strange thing (well it is to me) is that my Sonnie and Charlie are going mad for the cat treats (Whiskas Temptations) - they both have one each (Cheese & Ham) flavour when I am giving my cats their daily treats! So now not only is Sonnie perching himself on the edge of Mishka's bed but now sharing his treats! I hope they are safe for them - they don't seem to have come to any harm from them anyway.

Just adding to the sixth sense theme - when I used to cry at sad films etc. - my Adam (God rest his soul) used to lick the tears away from my cheeks - perhaps that was just for the taste - but I like to think he was comforting me. I still miss my gentle chap I really do and it is now almost 10 months! ASC xxx
ASC
ASC

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty ASC

Post  Bobbysox Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:53 pm

Adam wasn't licking your tears because of the taste he senced you were sad and you were Adams Soul Mate Cool
Bobbysox
Bobbysox

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Birdbrain

Post  Bobbysox Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:31 am

It was the Buck that was done all the others were Does. He has been separated from the girls when they were all about about 12 weeks old and he went into his own area in the birdroom. After his opp at 4mths old on Nov 19th I put him in the same shed as the girls in a wall cage so I could keep an eye on his recovery. The girls hutch was at least 3ft below and the Does were free to play out for a few hours during the day. All the front of his cage door is half inch square but it happened and on the 20th Dec there were 4 little kits 2 completly white and the other two light Tan and her last babies were all wild in colour. Rolling Eyes
Bobbysox
Bobbysox

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Where there's a will there's a way!!

Post  Birdbrain Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:35 am

What can I say!!!! Where there is a will there's a way . . . .but that takes the biscuit for inginuity ~ Unbelievable !! Unless, of course . . . one of your Does could actually be a buck??!!
Birdbrain
Birdbrain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty Where's there's a will

Post  Bobbysox Fri 18 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

Birdbrain the three Does turned out to be two and a Buck !Gloommmmmmmm! I won't know for another week or so if either of them are pregnant or in fact if the mother will be again. Her latest babies are now a month old but thankfully my daughter Gillian will take two. There are two pure white with the other two light tan, her first born are all wild rabbit colour.
Bobbysox
Bobbysox

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense in Pet Birds Empty petz4u website for Advertising your Pets

Post  Birdbrain Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

Well they do say "Breeding like Rabbits" - just shows the saying's pretty close to the mark.
Have a look at my other Website www.petz4u.co.uk and put your surplus rabbits on there under "Small Furries" - you can still "Vet" prospective new Owners - rathe than get over-run with them!
Birdbrain
Birdbrain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum